THE MUSEUM OF LITERATURE IN MORAVIA
May - September
The most urgent repairs have been already completed (strengthening of the buildings foundations by concrete injections, stabilization of some walls, repair of trusses, replacement of gutters and down pipes (except of the church), and removal and reinstallation of the roof tiles. All the building work at the historical library was finished in 2000. In 2002 the larger part of the books (about 55000 historical volumes) was returned to the refurbished depository. In 2003 the restoration of the library was completed . Also the library auxiliary is now available. From June to August 2004 the rest of the books (about 8000 volumes) was treated and deposited in the library lobby and in the main hall.
So on 9th of September 2004 most books (more than 63000 volumes) have been returned to their original place. They were handed over by the director of the Moravian State Library back to the Benedictine Abbacy. The most valuable manuscripts remain in the care of Moravian State Library in air-conditioned vaults.
The restored library was briefly open to general public during Days of European Heritage in September 2004.
Nowaday the library is permanently opened to visitors (from 1st July 2005, when it was included in the tour of the Museum).
The new part of museum opened for public from 1st July 2008
The main hall of the library in 1950 and 2004
Photos: archive of foundation